Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Intentions versus goals


I'm now on day 6 of my 30 days of yoga. The group is fantastic and I really feel like I'm part of this global class. I've discovered some great blogs of fellow participants. One of the themes that has come up is about the pressure we put on ourselves everyday and how unhappy this can make us.

When I think about it, I often set unrealistic goals and actually set myself up for failure. I feel that sometimes I put pressure on myself as a mother, wife, sister, daughter, friend, designer, etc. to be 'the best'. But is perfection actually healthy? Does it improve my life and my relationships with others?

Where do you draw the line though? Surely you have to set some kind of goals in order to be productive and grow? Otherwise, aren't we just being lazy? Or should we give it all up and let our lives, minds, relationships take their own path? With this comes the feeling of helplessness and a lack of focus.

Rather than setting 'goals' I'm choosing to set my 'intentions'. 'Goal' has so many competitive connotations and I don't want to be competitive in my relationships and with myself. My friends will know that I am competitive by nature but I'm going to try and limit this personality trait to trivia nights!

By setting my intention, there's a feeling that I have control but also know that it may take it's own path and I have to be accepting of this. Kinda like a partnership - me and 'something else'. I guess it's taking the time to listen to yourself and to know when to be strong in you intention and when to 'free wheel' and allow yourself to be guided.

V xx

No comments:

Post a Comment